We’re focusing on microdermabrasion use at home this week. We’ll review several of the most popular devices sold, and focus on one each day.
One such device is the Kendal Professional, which we’ll break down for our ladies, and we’ll give you some good advice before you head out to shop. After looking at several Kendal Microdermabrasion reviews and hearing about what users had to say, we decided to check it out for ourselves.
Here is our official review of the Kendal. Keep reading to find out if it’s the right machine for you.
Table of Contents
A Quick Overview of Microdermabrasion
Before we reveal our own consensus about the Kendal machine, we want to throw a few things out there regarding this treatment. It’s clear in several Kendal Microdermabrasion reviews that not everyone knows what this process is and who can benefit from it.
Individuals who suffer from discoloration, sun damage, or scarring can benefit from a microdermabrasion treatment. This is basically a gentle “sanding” of your skin. These devices will exfoliate skin through the use of tiny crystals.
It’s an ideal solution for those who suffer from dark spots or uneven skin tones. Think of it as a very intense exfoliation treatment. If you have sensitive skin, we suggest you speak with your dermatologist before using. Other than this, we are big fans of this treatment because of the fast results that it brings.
With the many options circling the market, it can be difficult to find the device right for you. Our reviews tell you all about the hottest microdermabrasion products, like in this case: the Kendal. Is it right for you? Let’s find out!
What Exactly Is It?
No, this is certainly not a Kindle! The Kendal is a machine that uses microdermabrasion to remove your top skin layer. This is how the majority of these devices work. After removing that top skin layer, the soft new skin under it will be visible.
This allows medications to be more easily absorbed into the deeper skin sections. There, in the dermis, vital nutrients can more easily enter to help in resolving many different skin problems. The benefits include:
- Wrinkles and fine lines minimized and plumped
- Acne reduced and redness relief
- Sun damage reversal
- Dry skin hydration
- Age spots treated
There’s not much difference between the various devices available today, so they’re not all that easy to compare to one another. But there is a significant difference you’ll find between this advice and most of the others… it uses the diamond tip, rather than microcrystals.
We can classify most machines for microdermabrasion into two groups:
- Those with a diamond tip that eases away the top skin later
- Those that use implanted micro-crystals to exfoliate the top skin layer away (with a vacuum that sucks the crystals up after they are used).
It’s not fair to say which one works the best since there isn’t much difference shown in their performance. While we can’t say one is better than the other, we can say that which is safer. With all the data available today, it is obvious which one is safer – the diamond tip machines.
The reason diamond tips are safer is because the microcrystals can cause damage to the deeper skin area if they penetrate farther than they should. These crystals can also accidentally be left in the skin and implanted deeper if not removed entirely during the treatment. They must ALL be removed to avoid skin damage, and that is difficult to do if the vacuum feature doesn’t seem to be working as well as it is supposed to.
Why Is It HOT?
We’ll admit to not being the biggest fans of the Kendal machine, but there ARE some features that we like.
- It’s very gentle to your skin, unlike some devices.
- It’s easy to use at home even if you’re not a trained professional.
- Buying your microdermabrasion device can save money in the long run because you won’t have to pay a recurring fee to receive the treatment at a spa.
- It has various sizes of diamond tips that are easily changed for various skin areas. You can use larger tips for cheeks and forehead while utilizing the small tips on areas around the nose, on the chin, and around the mouth and eyes.
- It includes 360 cotton filters that you will use in collecting skin debris as the Kendal vacuums them up. This is a lot of filters that should keep you stocked up for a long time before you need to refill the supply.
After the first use, you’ll be able to tell that this machine certainly is not the most powerful unit available. It does offer results, but it doesn’t truly penetrate your skin deeply enough for it to reveal a new skin layer. For the price of it, however, it’s still a value because it is more affordable than getting several microdermabrasion treatments at the spa.
In What Ways is it NOT Hot?
We agree that you will see SOME results if you use this machine. The diamond tip does exfoliate and help to renew the skin. However, it does lack a lot in terms of its performance.
- It’s not as strong as it could be in suction power OR exfoliation. Other products offer either better suction or better exfoliation, and some can provide both. Even though these features are not as strong as they could be, they still have some power behind them.
- It takes a while to remove that top dead skin layer. You may have to do several passes over the same area of skin to fully remove the layers you’re aiming for. These multiple passes may cause damage to the skin because it is too abrasive.
- It has shown a propensity for technical problems after a couple months of use. Many product owners have reported technical issues after a few uses, and that may cause a headache if you’re in the middle of a dermabrasion session and are experiencing malfunctions.
- The price ($300) is high for the equipment and performance you get. While it still works out to be cheaper than a couple of spa treatments a year, it’s still a lot of money to invest up front in a machine that might not be the highest performing or may have technical difficulties.
Looking at the Kendal as one of the entry-level machines for microdermabrasion, it’s not that bad, but other available options give you better results for the same price.
What Age is Appropriate for Microdermabrasion?
You’ll be surprised to know that anyone over the age of 12 can use this machine. Of course, you don’t want children using it on themselves but for serious skin conditions this is a treatment that can be carried out by a professional.
We would like to point out that people over the age of 65 have a slighter higher risk of bruising and should always receive treatment under the care of a professional.
Where to Buy
If you want to give the Kendal a try, we suggest you purchase from Amazon. You’ll most likely find the best pricing here and receive a quality product. Avoid buying a used machine even if the seller claims it’s like new. You’re better off paying full price, as the Kendal isn’t very expensive to begin with.
The Difference Between Dermabrasion and Microdermabrasion
Before we jump into the skin score of our we want to acknowledge a common confusion between two treatments: dermabrasion and microdermabrasion. A lot of Kendal Microdermabrasion reviews confuse these two terms, so we have to clear the air:
- Dermabrasion is a more abrasive method meaning that with this treatment you will not only remove that top skin layer but also dig deeper into the dermis. It is great for smoothing out fine lines and wrinkles while eliminating scarring. It will require some numbing of the skin as without it, it will be very painful. Full recoveries take up to 12 days, which is much more than a microdermabrasion one.
- Microdermabrasion on the other hand is less abrasive with a quicker recovery time. Neither treatment has serious side effects when used correctly. Be sure to read instructions thoroughly and follow them closely. If your skin reacts badly to it stop use and speak with your dermatologist.
Despite what you might read in other Kendal Microdermabrasion reviews online when it comes down to the Kendal machine itself we don’t think it is very powerful. It does a nice job exfoliating, but if you’re looking for more noticeable, quicker results we suggest you look elsewhere.
Our Skin Score!
When we look at the performance of the Kendal microdermabrasion machine, we think it’s just a basic level machine. It doesn’t have that special factor that we look for in the best products, but it’s not a bad option either.
It can offer results for people who don’t have a lot of skin damage, but it doesn’t have enough power to penetrate as deeply into your skin as it needs to, to fully remove the top skin layer to reveal the layer beneath.
If you’re looking for a very powerful at-home microdermabrasion option, this might not be your best bet. However, if you’re looking for something to exfoliate now and then without breaking your bank, the Kendal could be for you. After much research, we give it three stars, and we’ve ranked it as #3 on our best microdermabrasion machines list.