The past several years have seen technology that has improved so rapidly that it has resulted in many various changes in the industry of microdermabrasion machines.
One of the most notable changes is the increase of new products on the market that you can use at home. They all claim to give you similar results to those that you would see in a salon.
As far as most of these machines that make this claim, we’ll just offer a…
Having said that, though, there are a few products that do offer you some amazing results, even rivaling potentially the machines used by spas. We’ve tried to review the microdermabrasion machines that are most popular right now, and we’ll give our ladies (that’s you!) the chance to check out our favorites.
If you are struggling with skin conditions such as pimples, wrinkles, or fine lines we suggest you start paying more attention to microdermabrasion at home reviews. A microdermabrasion machine will save you expensive visits to your dermatologist and give you beautiful skin all from your home.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is Microdermabrasion?
- 2 Our Recommendations
- 3 So, What Can an At-Home Machine Do?
- 4 How Do Most Devices Work?
- 5 OK, so Stratum Corneum is Bad, But the New Layer is Good?
- 6 How to Prepare for Microdermabrasion?
- 7 How To Buy The Best Machine?
- 8 What’s Our Conclusion?
What Is Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a skin procedure that renews its overall tone and texture.
It can help in the following ways:
- Helps reverse the effects of sun damage
- Improves the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Treats age spots, melasma, and acne scarring
- Focuses on several skin-related conditions
How this works is the outer layer of the skin is gently sanded away by a special applicator. While getting rid of your top skin layer sounds intense, this procedure can be done from the comfort of your home.
It’s safe for most skin types and results in younger looking, healthier skin. Of course, it’s always a good idea to discuss skin concerns with your dermatologist to decide if this is a good treatment for you. Ultimately, our microdermabrasion at home reviews will get you one step closer to the right device for you.
Below we have included our various section which will help you decide on a device. Enjoy =)
First, we’ll tell you the way in which we scored them.
Their ability to fully remove the top skin layer: How well does the machine work at getting rid of that top skin layer?
Their penetration level:Did it remove too much skin?
The price:Is the machine well worth the asking price?
So, What Can an At-Home Machine Do?
OK, first off, most people really don’t have the need to use a powerful machine, but they are among the best ways to get results with various types of skin problems.
It’s crazy how many applications you can use microdermabrasion machines for. They may help in healing:
- Wrinkles and fine lines
- Sun damage (also called sun spots)
- Enlarged pores
- Acne and other scars
- Excess pigmentation
- Age spots
- Dull or sagging skin
- Skin tone that is not even
- Stretch marks (!)
- And even more…
If there was ever a need to switch to using microderm, it would have to be a financial need, based on multiple skin issues. If you have many major issues, you could get results from one device instead of using different types of products for each issue.
How Do Most Devices Work?
Even if the idea of microdermabrasion sounds crazy to you at first, it’s not hard to determine how these treatments work. It’s like an instant facelift. But rather than having chemicals BURN away your epidermis, microdermabrasion is more simple. Tiny crystals are injected into the epidermis and they work together with the device’s suction to remove the top skin layer.
Look to the right and you’ll see that your upper section of epidermis has two layers, known as the Stratum Corneum and a New Layer. Microdermabrasion is a speedy and very effective way to peel back your Stratum and reveal the new skin layer underneath.
OK, so Stratum Corneum is Bad, But the New Layer is Good?
That’s right. All you really need to learn is that the Stratum is an important player in preventing vitamins and moisture to enter into your Dermis, when everything happens.
Acne treatments are only very effective if they can gain access to your sebaceous glands, to stop oil over-production and allow your body to work at removing the dead cells of skin in a natural way. This prevents blockages, which otherwise would result in breakouts over 90% of the time!
Products that promise anti-aging properties can only be effective if they can access the Dermis to strengthen those erector muscles that will otherwise form wrinkles when they become weaker.
Eye creams only help in strengthening capillaries that otherwise will leak blood if they can enter the inner layers of skin.
How to Prepare for Microdermabrasion?
This nonsurgical procedure can be done using an at-home device. Just like most microdermabrasion at home reviews will suggest, here is what you should do to prepare:
- Discuss any concerns with your skin care professional. This includes any previous cosmetic surgeries, procedures, allergies, or medical conditions.
- About a week before treatment, avoid sun exposure, waxing, and tanning lotions.
- Don’t exfoliate your skin three days before the procedure.
- Remove all makeup and cleanse your face prior to the treatment.
Always treat your skin with the utmost care when using a microdermabrasion device. As you can see, preparing for this procedure is super easy and definitely worth the money spent on your very own at home device.
Common Side Effects
While side effects are minor you may experience mild tenderness, redness, and swelling. This should go away within a couple hours after the treatment. Some individuals have also experienced minor bruising caused during the suction part of this procedure.
It’s recommended to apply some moisturizer after a treatment to minimize flaky, dry skin.
The risks associated with this treatment are very minimal, however, if you experience any serious side effects speak with your dermatologist immediately.
When Will You See Results?
Noticeable results can be expected immediately after the procedure. Depending on the severity of your skin, you may need another microdermabrasion session. While you won’t need any recovery time, feel free to resume all daily activities immediately. Keep in mind that your skin will be sensitive after treatment. Be sure to keep skin hydrated after a treatment, use sunscreen, and be gentle with your skin.
How To Buy The Best Machine?
Now you know the purpose of these microdermabrasion machines (removing the oldest top layer to reveal a new layer), so it makes it easier to determine what the best devices need, in order to be effective.
Here’s what you need a device to do:
- Clear away your top skin layer ONLY.
- Do this effectively and rapidly.
- Have enough suction to remove your Stratum layer.
That sounds simple, but some devices fail, here. A machine shouldn’t:
- Be too powerful, so that it also removes your new layer of skin
- Be so weak that it can’t clear out the entire Stratum layer of skin.
One side effect often associated with microderm machines that have too much power is skin reddening after you use it. Your skin will stay pink from a normal machine, but it should never be bright red. Redness means there is too much power in the machine, and that it penetrated too far.
Additional factors to consider include:
- Suction Power. A device that does not deliver enough suction power is not worth your money. You want to be sure it’s capable of removing dead skin cells and blackheads effectively, and suction power is the best way.
- Diamond Tips. On top of suction power, you need a machine with quality diamond tips. Be sure you only invest in a device whose tips are coated with diamond particles as they’ll do a better job in removing dead skin cells.
- Easy Of Use. This procedure should not be a difficult process. We recommend you purchase a machine that’s easy to use while giving you the desired results. Look for a device that includes an instructional manual, and if possible video tutorials.
- Durability. There are many devices on the market that will break in a matter of months. A durable machine should last you several years. Consider the materials used and whether warranty is included warranty before purchasing.
- Price. We all have a different budget, but lucky for you there are so many options available on the market we’re sure you’ll land a device that fits your needs. As you’ll note from microdermabrasion at home reviews, this is a big investment and you should invest in a quality option even if it means spending a little bit more than you planned. It will be well worth the money in the long run.
With the several options circling the market it can be difficult to find the perfect device for your skin. Keeping these elements in mind when reading through microdermabrasion at home reviews will help narrow down your shopping decision.
Keeping that key effect in your mind, you can read this list of our favorite microderm devices for the year.
What’s Our Conclusion?
To all of our ladies, if you want to try microdermabrasion machines at home, be sure to supplement that treatment by including other lotions and creams to moisturize your skin.
Also, remember that you’ll be exposing a new skin layer that will be sensitive, so keep that new skin well-hydrated for the days right after the treatments.
As far as we’re concerned, the machine that consistently offers you the best possible results without enduring several days of pain is Microderm MD. The suction levels are well-balanced, so it removes just the top layer without going too deep.
Of course, your decision is the one that matters. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us be leaving a comment below, we’re happy to help.
In addition, if you’ve used these machines or any others, please let us know how they worked – or didn’t work – for you.